Affiliate Disclosure: Petpawshub.com site uses affiliate links when applicable. This site earns from the affiliate links (at no additional cost to you). Read Affiliate Disclosure here
My dog ate rubber band- [Should I be worried]
Article Reviewed by Dr James Berman, Sydney Vet Clinic. Learn More about Dr James.
You’ve just come home, and the scene is chaotic! Your faithful furry friend is surrounded by what used to be a pile of mail, and there it is – a chewed-up rubber band.
🐾🐩 This post forms a part of my Nifty Tips on -🦴 🐩How to Stop Your Dog from Eating Everything He Sees
You freeze. Has your dog swallowed it?
Oh no! Now, you’re wondering: my dog ate a rubber band, what do I do now?
Check out our new Pup Checklist[ Designeed for Oodles - The Designers Breed] - A must-have guide for every new Pet parent 🐾🐶🐾New puppy checklist- The Ultimate guide to the new dog Pawrents
Curiosity and mischief are hallmarks of our dogs, and they’ll scour your house for toys and tempting snacks.
Home goods Even ordinary household objects may entice curious pets, but they may contain harmful or hazardous ingredients that should be avoided.
It never ceases to amaze me the sheer variety of ‘stuff’ that gets into dogs.
Many years ago my friend had a dog that loved rubbish, and she’d regularly find her running around with an ‘almost passed’ plastic bag trying to escape from her rear end. she’d have to chase her, to catch it and pull.
Rubber bands usually pass unless they get tangled up in the gut with other things the pet has eaten, such as sticks, bones, etc.
Usually, they will pass in a day or two. If the dog is straining, vomiting, tender in its belly, or any other abnormal symptom, take it to your vet.
Also, if it’s a big rubber band then you may want to keep a close eye on your dog. If you don’t see it in her poop(within 2 days) then you should take your dog to the local vet. (Depending on the size of the dog & rubber band).
To be safe, I’m all about safety first. Call your vet and tell them your situation. If your dog has any kind of medical issues then definitely take them to the vet.
I’d say it’s unlikely to cause any harm but watch your dog for a few days, in case the dog presents with any unusual behaviours. If in the slightest doubt take your pooch to your vet.
Also Read: My dog ate a fly will he be ok?
What if it’s a Big rubber band?
Your Pooch will probably be fine depending on the size of the rubber band and the dog. Most things go through the dog’s system just fine.
Check your dog’s stool for the next couple of days (yes, this can be a bit messy) to see if the band comes through.
Check these: Did your pooch eat anything else that wasn’t her food? That could cause some diarrhoea. Just feed your dog regular food and water and observe. If doggo seems I’ll at all take your dog to your vet.
Also Read: My Dog Ate A Lizard [Is it harmful & What To Do}
When to take your Pooch to the Vet
Check to see if the rubber band came out in the dog’s poop in the next 2-3 days.If it hasn’t, call your vet.
However, even though dogs can be fine if they eat something they should not, with your dog’s a puppy and a small dog you must talk to your vet to be on the safe side.
If your dog has diarrhoea after eating a rubber band, then your dog is not going to be able to poop .
The rubber band could get stuck in your dog’s intestines and get stuck. In this situation, take her to the vet so that your dog can be checked.
If the diarrhoea doesn’t stop, you should take it to the vet, even if it doesn’t hurt.
Rubber bands come in different sizes. The bigger the band, the more risk there is You can be sure that if it is small, it will be able to pass through its digestive system and get rid of itself.
A rubber band isn’t going to cause a lot of trouble. In other words, if your dog starts to vomit and it doesn’t go away quickly, or if your dog is pacing and can’t settle down because she’s hurting herself, then do tell the vet about the rubber band.
Also read: Can dogs eat mango seeds? Few quick remedies before you take them to VET.
Is the rubber band toxic to your Dog?
As such a rubber band inside a dog is not toxic However, the size of the rubber band and the size of the dog that ate it could cause intestinal problems.
Such problems could be anything from a slight slowdown in the flow of food to a complete blockage that would need surgery to fix.
Even worse, there could be a twisting of the intestinal tract that would also need surgery to fix.
People who have their digestive tract completely blocked will die if they don’t get it cleared up quickly.
Many other things can make a dog sick, like a rubber band.
Also, read My Dog Ate Brownies [Should I be Worried and What To Do]
Is it Safe to Make My Dog Vomit at Home?
For the following reasons, Vets do not recommend it:
- It’s possible that you’ll mistake the components and accidentally cause vomiting of anything dangerous.
- Aspiration pneumonia might occur if the procedure is not carried out correctly.
- On the way back up, there’s a chance that something will become stuck in the oesophagus and cause more issues.
- Vets use a little injection to induce vomiting, which is far more comfortable for your dog than pushing a cup of hydrogen peroxide down their throat. So, you must take your dog to the vet, if you feel he is not so well after swallowing the rubber band.( Source)
My 3-month-old puppy accidentally ate a rubber band. What should I do?
When I did a Bit of Research on FB groups related to dogs.
Kate Wilkinson says
As much as you don’t want to hear it, you really do just have to wait and watch. My puppy has eaten all sorts of things even despite us being very careful with him, so I know how stressful it can get.
Just keep an eye out on whether he’s vomiting up any food/water (also if he’s eating normally) and id also monitor his poops. Whether he’s going, and if you can see the band passed through.
Chances are that he’s going to be just fine though, I wouldn’t worry about it too much.Kate Wilkinson
When you think your puppy is vomiting and passing loose motions you’ll need an emergency vet, call them and see what they have to say If it’s been less than 45 minutes, they may tell you to give hydrogen peroxide to make you vomit.
This will make you sick as a Paw-rent. Keep your puppy hydrated and don’t waste time. Your dog’s intestines don’t want to be stuck or blocked, and you don’t want that to happen to your dog.
This would be the case in an ideal world, though. If this happens, I wouldn’t trust luck. I’d go to the vet instead.
Also Read: Can Dogs Eat McDonald’s? [List of Good bad and ugly]
In conclusion, while it can be a shock to find out that your dog ate a rubber band, remember – it’s not the end of the world!
With careful observation, swift action, and preventive measures, you can navigate through this crisis like a pro. Remember, our dogs depend on us to keep them safe. So let’s take that responsibility to heart! 💖
What are the symptoms if my dog swallowed a rubber band?
Look out for signs like vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, lethargy, or changes in behavior.
How long does it take for a dog to pass a rubber band?
It varies, but generally, it can take between 10 hours to 2 days. If the rubber band doesn’t pass in this time or your dog shows discomfort, contact your vet immediately.
How can I train my dog not to eat non-food items?
Teach them the “Leave it” command and use positive reinforcement. Always supervise them, especially when they’re around potentially dangerous items.
Can a rubber band kill a dog?
While not common, if a rubber band causes a blockage in the digestive system, it could potentially be fatal. That’s why it’s crucial to contact your vet if you suspect your dog has swallowed a rubber band.
What are some dog-friendly chew toys alternatives?
There are plenty of dog-friendly chew toys available. Look for durable, non-toxic options that are the right size for your dog.
For more about Dogs see our other articles below
- 🩲Why does my dog eat my underwear and How to stop it
- 🪨Gravel Gourmet: Why Does My Dog Eat Rocks and How Can I Stop It?
- 💡🐩How to Stop Your Dog from Eating Everything He Sees ! 👀
- 🥣Can dogs eat grits| Read before you feed
- 🍑Can dogs eat nectarines ? A guide for pawrents.
- AVMA– Vet
- Some foods are Toxic to dogs
- The Everything Poodle Book (2004) by J.Adams
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (2014) by H. Bowler
The Complete Standard Poodle (1998) by E. Geeson
Cavapoos or Cavoodles: The Ultimate Cavapoo Dog Manual (2014) by G. Hoppendale
About Content Reviewer & Vet Expert OnBoard: Dr Maya Zamir Malvern Vet Clinic. Dr Maya is passionate about pets and loves sharing her knowledge and research with you.
At Pet Paws Hub, we strive to be the ultimate resource for learning everything about Owning & caring for your pet!