My dog ate play doh- [Should I be worried]
Affiliate Disclosure: Petpawshub.com site uses affiliate links when applicable. This site earns from the affiliate links (at no additional cost to you). Read Affiliate Disclosure here
Playdough, salt ornaments, cinnamon ornaments, and any other dough containing a lot of salt can be extremely dangerous.
If your dog consumes play dough, keep an eye out for indications of salt poisoning and contact your local veterinarian.
How often do your children play with playdough and then leave it on the table?
It happens frequently in my house, and I never gave it a second thought other than “the playdough is going to dry out.”
For some strange reason, your dog decided to eat a playdough. It is normal to worry when your dog eats foods that he should not make, but read the following before making them. So what do you do when your dog eats Playdough?
What should I do if my dog eats it? The amount of play depends on the amount consumed and the size of the dog. Contact your veterinarian if your dog is small, young or has eaten a lot.
Otherwise, it is best to monitor your dog for the next 48 hours. After all, it all depends on the dog and his health
Fortunately, our dogs did not try to eat it, although they did consume a few cinnamon decorations that included salt.
I didn’t think it was a huge problem that he stole an ornament from the kids, just like every other toy he steals from them.
Because all of the components were from the kitchen, I didn’t believe it would be a huge concern; after all, it’s not hazardous, right?
Our dog did not consume the play dough, but he did consume a cinnamon ornament that we had prepared for our Christmas tree.
These decorations are manufactured in the same manner as playdough and contain a significant amount of salt. The salt acts as a preservative, extending the life of the decoration.
What happens when a dog eats play doh
What happens will depend primarily on the amount and amount of playdough consumed.
Both store-bought and homemade foods contain large amounts of salt, which can be harmful to your dog. Most homemade playdoughs include a lot of salt, which might cause salt sickness in your dogs.
Play-components dohs are kept secret by the creators of the most popular brand, however, it is known that it has salt in their recipe (as well as water and flour).
While Play-Doh is non-toxic, non-irritating, and non-allergenic, the high salt concentration can be detrimental to dogs if consumed.
Dogs taking Play-doh may have an increased thirst or gastrointestinal upset.
Dogs with excessive thirst, vomiting, diarrhea, tremor and coma need immediate veterinary attention.
Playdough Could Endanger Dogs’ Lives
Although the amount of salt used by the dog will vary, several indicators of salt poisoning can be noticed.
Salt is a component in both homemade and store-bought playdough.
Why Is Playdough Harmful To Dogs?
The homemade dough contains excessive amounts of sodium chloride (salt), which is toxic to dogs. “Sodium chloride is an electrolyte that helps regulate water levels in the body, muscle contractions and nerve impulses.
The way this damage is done is by releasing water from your dog’s blood cells to dilute the salts in the blood. It damages cells, including the extreme and irreversible destruction of brain cells, causing the neurological symptoms commonly encountered in poison ivy at home.
As per wagwalking.com analysis Damaged brain cells are displaced and fluid can build up, causing seizures and coma. Fluids also build up in the lungs, causing shortness of breath and weakness. ” –
Warning Signs If Your Dog Eats Playdough
According to Petpoison Salt toxicity in dogs and cats causes the following symptoms:
- Vomiting and Diarrhea
- Appetite suppression
- Extreme thirst or urination
If you believe your dog or cat has consumed homemade play dough or salt dough, contact your veterinarian or a pet poison helpline right away for life-saving treatment advice.
Can Dogs Consume & Digest Play-Doh?
Dogs can stomach the majority of the materials in both store-bought and homemade play-doh. The digestion of these components may result in an upset stomach or other adverse effects in a dog.
Many individuals prefer to manufacture play-doh at home using basic materials like flour, water, and vegetable oil.
Your dog’s digestive system can break down all of these components.
Store-bought play-doh can contain a wide range of substances, although they are meant to be non-toxic to humans and hence contain primarily digestible components.
Dogs may have difficulty digesting play-doh if they consume big amounts or swallow play-doh structures whole without chewing.
Any object ingested in big quantities or that is huge in size and form is a choking hazard.
- My dog ate a Napkin- [Should I be worried]
- My dog ate rubber band- [Should I be worried]
- My dog ate a fly will he be ok?
- My Dog Ate Brownies [Should I be worried & What To Do}
- My Dog Ate A Lizard [Is it harmful & What To Do]
What Should You Do If Your Dog Eats Play-Doh?
Take a few deep breaths and follow the guidelines below if your dog has eaten play-doh.
Keep an eye out for signs of salt poisoning in your dog.
A dog’s life can be jeopardised by salt poisoning.
If your dog gets unusually thirsty, loses its appetite, develops new or unexplained shaking or limb weakness, vomiting or diarrhoea that occurs more than once, or appears abnormally sluggish after eating play-doh, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Salt toxicity may not be apparent for several hours after your dog has eaten play-doh.
Salt poisoning can appear anywhere between 3 and 12 hours after eating salt or a salty substance.
You Should Contact Your Vet If…
If your dog is really young, tiny, or has consumed more than a few tablespoons of play-doh, you should contact your veterinarian.
Your veterinarian can assess if further treatment is required based on your dog’s specific weight and the sort of play-doh consumed.
If your dog exhibits any indications of salt poisoning, contact your veterinarian immediately and inform them of the situation.
Salt toxicity needs the assistance of a veterinarian.
Even if you do not suspect salt poisoning, visit your veterinarian if your dog has a lasting upset stomach or diarrhoea after eating play-doh.
Preventing Future Play-doh Eating Incidents
Dogs do not always learn their lesson about what they should and should not eat on the first try.
To avoid future play-doh eating, only use play-doh on high surfaces like as tables or countertops.
Play-doh should be stored in containers with tight lids and behind cabinet doors that your dog cannot open.
Always keep an eye on youngsters who are playing with play-doh near dogs, and keep any drying play-doh crafts out of reach of dogs.
Consider your dog’s weight and the amount of Play-Doh he has consumed.
The dog’s weight and the amount of play-dough consumed are the two most important elements in the level of concern for a dog that has eaten play-doh. The less play-doh a dog may safely consume, the smaller the dog.
Even modest amounts of play-doh might be problematic for very small dogs such as cavoodles, Moodles, Pomeranians, havanas or Yorkshire Terriers. This is especially true for extremely young puppies with immature digestive systems.
The risk of ingesting tiny amounts of play-doh diminishes dramatically in larger dogs such as Huskies, Golden Retrievers, Boxers, and Border Collies
Still, if these dogs ate a significant amount (whole containers of play-doh, entire play-doh masterpieces), they will need to be monitored for salt poisoning and may be seen by a veterinarian.
- The best wooden dog crate reviews
- The 9 best dog travel carrier reviews in 2022
- The 20+ Best Dog Accessories you’d love in 2022
- 15 best ball launcher for dogs in 2022
- 15 Best Dog Food storage Containers you’d be happy to own
- Best Dog winter hat for larger dogs
About Content Reviewer & Vet Expert OnBoard: Dr. Zoe Adams, from St Kilda Vets. Dr, Zoe is passionate about pets and loves sharing her knowledge and research with you. At Pet Paws Hub, we strive to be the ultimate resource for learning everything about Owning & Caring for your pet!